Dear Borromeo Seminarians and Parents,
This letter is an update to the ongoing information our seminaries have received regarding procedures to reduce the spread of COVID-19 to our community. It is important to reiterate that we are not currently aware of any cases of coronavirus at Borromeo Seminary at this time. However, following the recommendations from the Diocese of Cleveland, the State of Ohio, and the Lake County Health Department, we have decided to suspend residential living at the Seminary. This decision will be reevaluated by Monday, April 13, 2020, and further information will be provided to all students, faculty, and staff.
- Beginning today, March 15th, all seminarians are strongly encouraged to return home to their permanent address. Borromeo seminarians should move out shortly after your last online JCU class on Monday. Students are not to return to the campus for any reason during this time (this includes the field house, workout room, library, faculty offices, etc.).
- Before you leave, if you have anything perishable in your room (e.g., food items), please discard them or take them home. Take out your trash, remove dirty laundry, turn off your ceiling fan and lights, disconnect all electrical appliances, close your window, and lock your door. First class mail will be forwarded to your home address.
- In order to decrease the chances of spreading the virus please practice a quarantine-type environment in your home—no unnecessary trips to public places (i.e. restaurants, bars, movie theaters, or grocery stores)
- Seminarians who cannot make arrangements to return home must seek permission from their formation advisor and/or the Dean of Students to remain on campus.
- Seminarians residing on campus should practice prescribed self-quarantine measures and intentional hygiene. Meal services and liturgies will continue (please see forthcoming revised schedule).
- Effective immediately all on campus seminary events are cancelled through April 13. Event organizers should inform guests and attendees that their events are cancelled.
- Beginning Monday, March 16, all Borromeo classes will be delivered via JCU online resources. Professors will contact their respective classes with specific procedures.
- Registration for Fall Courses will take place during this time, please be attentive to directives from JCU. Contact Sister Mary by email or phone if you have questions.
- Library will be closed during this time, please contact Mr. Alan Rome after March 23rd if you have any questions.
During this time all seminarians should maintain the following practices:
- Monitor your health on a daily basis. If you are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 (a fever of 100.4 or higher, respiratory issues like cough or shortness of breath) or you have been in direct contact with an individual diagnosed with COVID-19, please do not leave your home. Instead, call your healthcare provider and the Cuyahoga County Board of Health at 216-201-2000, and follow the CDC guidelines for self-quarantining.
- Celebrate the Liturgy of the Hours daily. Participate in daily Mass at your local parish (if you are feeling well…if you are not feeling well you are encouraged to participate online).
- Changes to the end-of-the-year evaluations will be communicated by your Formation Advisor.
- Keep a daily log of your spiritual, academic, athletic, and formational activities to be periodically shared with your Formation Advisor.
Our goal with this decision is to proactively limit the potential transmission of the virus in our community. Certainly, this decision will be disruptive, but it has been made with the health and wellbeing of our community in mind.
Let us pray for each other and our community, and especially those affected by this virus and the healthcare community working to keep people safe. ~ Mary, Health of the Sick, Pray for Us.
Rev. Mark Latcovich, President – Rector